Monday, December 25, 2006

Granola

This morning the kiddos and I made a batch of granola, it was good, they all ate some and asked for more. The hubby and I thought it had a Cinnamon Toast Crunch flavor. They are going to have more later on some Rice Dream ice cream. It is actually quite healthy, and a lot easier than cooking oatmeal first thing in the morning. I been trying to find a new oat product that Lula and Biggie would eat, they have their mother's adversion to weird textured foods like oatmeal and creamed cereals. On oat day, day two in our four day food rotation, they can easily polish of a box of O's, at $3.90 a box it get kinda expensive so I'm hoping to keep granola as an breakfast option. The recipe I used is kinda a mix and match of many recipes I found online but here goes.
4 cups old fashioned rolled oats
2 cups puffed rice cereal
1/2 cup or less maple syrup
1/4 cup agava syrup
cinnamon to taste- I went a little over board on the cinnamon
On stove top mix syrups and cinnamon together so they thin and mix together. Pour over oats and cereal and mix well. Bake in a jelly roll pan 20 minutes at 300 degrees stirring every five minutes. Remove and cool, do not over bake it will crisp up as it cools. Serve plain with milk, yogurt or ice cream. On cooked fruit would be delicious also. You could try just oats or just maple syrup I sure it would be good.
P.S. have you ever read the side of the Mrs. Butterworth bottle yuck, use REAL maple syrup.

No comments: