Thursday, December 29, 2011

Pantry Challenge

Grocery Challenge time again.  I know I've tried time and time again but it's better to try and fail than to never have tried at all. 

Well Jessica at Good Cheap Eats, a blog that I just found- how have I missed it, is making it official. January is the month.   

The rules:  make up your own rules. 

Well my rules will be to try and shot for $500 a month WITHOUT depleting our food supply.  I know $500 sound like a lot and it is but we are feeding a family of 7 and a half:-)  The hubby tries not to eat things out of a box and is pretty much grain free.  And well I'm kind of a food snob.  So anything less would be extremely difficult and would cut into our pantry. 

I also want to freeze a handful of meals for when I just don't want to cook or I'm sick or something.  I could of used a few of those earlier this month. 

Also, can applesauce which I never did this fall.  After I finished those pears and the first trimester was upon me I just didn't do it.  The peoples love them some applesauce around here:-)

I don't want to deplete our food supply just clean it up and use anything that needs to be used. 

Here are the things I can think of off the top of my head that need to be used up.  

Frozen asparagus- why did I freeze #50 when I'm really the only one who eats the stuff with out force.
A case of "healthy" sun chips that no one is really digging.  Keep bringing them out until they are gone.
Butter I canned two years ago, use it and replace it. 
Try the cherry pie filling I canned this summer but have yet to use.

Well anybody else up for the challenge?  Should be fun!  See you in the kitchen. 



No comments: