Monday, September 27, 2010

It's that time again!

Grocery Challenge time again!!! It's been a while so I thought I'd give it another whirl.

Last year I totally flopped. But its better to try and fail than never to have tried.

So this year the budget will be $500. What?!?! you say. You say $500 should be easy!!

You forgot I am kind of a food snob. I shun HFCS, MSG, BHT and other food like substances that have their own initials. We also have 7 pie holes, as the hubby so affectionately calls them, to fill. Only six of the pie holes have teeth so I'll run the numbers as a family to six even though I should be counted as two with the way I eat these days.

500 divided by 31 days = $16.13 per day

$16.13 divided by 6 pie holes = $2.68 per pie hole per day

$2.68 divided by 3 meals a day = .896 cents per meal

Eighty-nine cents a meal and that's not including snacks so I think that is a lofty goal.

Over May, June, and July the average day cost us close to $25 a day. That is A LOT of money. But really it's only $4.16 per person per day.

The fun begins on Friday, Oct. 1.