Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Smelling Roses...

Today was the first day of school for us. All went well Racky retained much more than I thought he would of. He only forgot a few sight words but quickly picked them up again. This is how our day went:
1. I read the story of Jonah out of "The Child's Story Bible".
2. Reading, he wrote out the alphabet and then he told me the letter sounds, reviewed the sight word flashcard from last year and then he read me four sentences I wrote out. Tomorrow will get back into his workbook.
3.We then took a break, read some books, and ran some errands. They played outside for a while and then played computer games before lunch.
4. We did the first lesson in Saxon 1.
That's it we're done for the day. I decided to split up the day, reading morning and math in the afternoon, because I tend to rush him and tell him to hurry up about a hundred times in the hour and half of school. Why I do this I don't know. I noticed myself telling the kids to hurry all the time, hurry and put your shoes on, hurry up and finish your food, hurry and use the bathroom and get outside, etc. etc. Why am I in a hurry? I have no idea. Kids like to stop and smell the roses when I just want to get on to the next thing. Their roses are different then mine, they are intriguing squished raisin on the floor of the van when I want them to put their buckles on or an amazing matchbox car that they never play with but when I want them to get outside it becomes an object they must study and examine. Well I am actively trying to stop this bad habit and start smelling the roses, or squished raisins, so they don't grow up and feel like I tried to rush their childhood. The little things only add to a few minutes a day so whats the big deal right? Well I better go I have to hurry up and do something:)

3 comments:

Tracy said...

You know I need to slow down and smell the roses myself. I am the same way always telling my kids to hurry for this or that. When really what does a few minutes matter. I'm glad to know I'm not the only mom like this:) Sounds like you had a good day of school. I'm trying to figure out my schedule for the day this year yet. I'm kind of doing what I did last year but tweaking it a bit. I probably won't have it down until next week.

Sharon said...

I don't know how you and Tracy do it with school! It is so true about the hurry up and get movin' thing. The more I think about it, I realize I am always telling Ambry to get goin'. I am definitely going to have to try and take your advice and chill out a little bit. Like you said, what is the big hurry?

Sarah said...

I want to enjoy their childhood's too! Isn't it funny what children find interesting.