Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Summer Cooking

Last year around Thanksgiving time I pick up this 18 quart roaster for about 25 bucks. I am quite sure it has paid for itself by now.

This summer has been a scorcher and who wants to cook when its 90+ degrees outside. I do know a bunch of people who still like to eat no matter the temperature outside though.

Our house is rather confined and if you turn the oven on it heats the whole upstairs, not a bad thing in January but not a good thing in August. Our air conditioning would run constantly if the oven was on in the afternoon, the hottest part of the day. The hubby is not into the idea of coming home to a blazing hot house and I cringe at the air running constantly so the roaster to the rescue.

I pulled our patio table over to the corner the deck where our one outside outlet is and tada I just created a summer kitchen.

A 9 x 13 pan will fit in here on the rack so you could even bake a cake or brownies or whatever. Pictured is just some seasoned chicken for baked chicken. Sorry no after picture, like I said I know some people who like to eat.

So between our grill and this roaster we are still eating but without heating up the house. The roaster has been left on the deck all summer, it fits under our overhang and as long as its unplugged its seems fine.
P.S. you must use the cover when using your roaster to bake with. I know you know that but just in case you didn't:)

2 comments:

Tammy L said...

Nice!! :)

Christy said...

What a great idea - I only have used my roaster to hold food for a crowd - I can't wait to have a summer kitchen next year (cause summer is really over here ;o( )