Friday, December 19, 2008

My thoughts on couponing and running deals!

(Okay a lot of this will be the pot calling the kettle black. Maybe if I publish it I'll practice what I preach more.)


Here are my humble thoughts.


Simple tips on keeping it real:

1.If you don't need it don't buy it. (okay I'm totally a sucker for FREE stuff.)

2.Have a limit on how often you go. (ex. I try to only go to CVS once a month)

3.Don't look at the ads unless you are already going to that store. (I look at the Meijer ad because I'm going to go there anyways, I never look at the mall ads it makes me discontent with what I have)

4. Take it with a grain of salt how much you are really saving, CVS, Walgreens and Rite Aid are so over priced. (I'd take the number they give you and divide it in half.)

5. Set a budget on deals, mine in $5 a week.

6. Make sure it's okay with your hubby, an obvious one yet probably the most forgotten one.



Now I step onto my soapbox: Here is a little hypothetical story.



If you were to buy a new washing machine (with a coupon or price match of course) you would not take it home and try to use cow manure in place of detergent. No that would be dumb and simply unwise. Same with your car, you don't add apple juice to the gas tank and expect it to run now do ya.



So why oh why do people fill their sweet babies up with crap food that you can't even pronounce. OK if you and your hubby want to eat crap you are adults and can make up your own mind, your children can not.



Okay I'm stepping down now.



Save money other places if you can before it effects your food. Write out a menu and stick to it. Real old fashion oatmeal or homemade granola is quite comparable to a box of cereal bought on sale with a coupon. Diced up potatoes are much cheaper that bagged fries with twelve gazillion things added to them. Buy real fruit in season, skip the sugary drinks, even juice, drink water. The key word here is REAL!

Yes I too am a sucker for a nice haul of crap, almost all of which I have to give away because it's not REAL. I love to ask the hubby when I get home how much he think it all cost and then have him ask me how they can keep their doors open, it's fun. But not at the health of my family.

End of humble thoughts. Have a good one.

No comments: